Pages

5.23.2011

Grow Charlie grow!

Charlie is doing fantastic! I knew within days of meeting him that he would really take off once we got him home. And he did. He's up to 20 lbs!! His spine isn't creepy anymore, and his ribs have filled in. He looks great. He's eating well, as you can see! He's doing much better with being spoon-fed. It's definitely not his favorite, but he's not fighting it as much anymore. And we discovered Charlie LOVES mashed potatoes! He also seems to like lemon-flavored things, which I find odd! Charlie claps when we say "yay" or "good job". He can hold his own bottle sometimes, and he signs "eat" and "milk"! He's my superhero. :) He had his VCUG today, and he does not have urinary reflux, even though he did have an abnormal ultrasound. I'm not sure if that was related to the infection, or what. But it does mean we can take him off the antibiotic, so we're down to only 4 meds! One thing I've learned: only listen to the doctors who specialize in whatever they are talking about! For example, the cardiologist heard the results of Charlie's ultrasound and said "Whoa! You only see that with something like Grade 4 reflux! Whoa!" Actual Kidney Specialist: "It might be reflux, it might not. We'll test and find out. Not a big deal." So, parents, don't freak out unless the doc knows what they are talking about. :) I went through something similar with Brennan. I wish everyone would be on the same page!

Brennan is SO over Charlie. He likes him well enough, but he thinks it's time for Charlie to go back where he came from! He's being intentionally rough with Charlie, but then he'll turn around and bring him a toy. We've started a "No Touch" rule between the two of them, because you never know when a gentle pet will turn into a pinch. Today Brennan was giving Charlie kisses, so I think there's hope. Even though he DID throw a toy at Charlie's head. Multiple times. It doesn't help that I almost never have one-on-one time with Brennan. Hopefully we'll be able to start fitting some of that in!

Brennan is picking up signs as soon as you teach them to him! His new favorite is "apple". The only reason he doesn't know more signs is because we aren't teaching them to him! He's starting to talk more, too. Ee-oh for elmo, Go-gee for going (outside), Mama (!!!), Wampa (grandpa), Sa-ee (Sadie), etc. He repeats more too. I'm going to really miss Brennan-ese, though! It is so stinkin' adorable. He talks ALL the time, babbling away, with inflection, chuckles, and gestures. My favorite is when he tells funny stories! He really appreciates when you respond appropriately. Oh, he's so cute. I have adorable kids. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment