Pages

6.23.2010

So many firsts!

Brennan has teeth! His first tooth finally popped through right around the day he turned eight months old, and the second followed within a few days. He's such a cute little guy with his two bottom teeth! A third tooth, on the top, just poked through this past weekend. It's still hard to see, but it's there! Brennan did pretty well with teething, his only real symptom was crying pretty hard when it was naptime, and not napping well. It's like he could handle the pain when he was being held and played with, but when he was put down to go to sleep, it was too much! Poor guy.
More firsts:
First food he didn't like: Avocado!
First time standing while holding on to the table
First vacation, which included first boat ride and first beach experience

Hmm, I feel like I am missing something! Oh well, I usually am!
Our vacation to Lake Vermilion was really fun. Right away I learned that a vacation with children is much different than with no kids! First of all, it's not really vacation! My dear husband laid on the couch and read, but I still had to wash bottles, do dishes, and take care of the baby! It wasn't bad though, I just hadn't thought about it before hand. I did finish a book for the first time in over a year. That's tough for someone who grew up being such a bookworm. Besides Brennan throwing temper tantrums and not sleeping much for the first half of vacation (that was *neat*), I think he had a LOT of fun. There were SIX adults doting on him all the time! He was in heaven! My boy is such a ham. He ADORES having all eyes on him, and he will check to make sure you are watching him display his cuteness! He cracks me up. He slept through his first boat ride!
We put him on the beach, but the water was too cold to go swimming. When we first sat him down, he tried to grab the waves. We moved him closer and he did NOT enjoy the cold water on his bum! Grandpa Larry stood him up in the water, and when Brennan realized he was getting all sorts of attention and praise, he started to splash and enjoy himself. I ended up sitting in the water with him (with my clothes on!) and we had fun. Brennan constantly tried to eat the sand until I gave him a scoop to chew on.
Some parts of the vacation were a little more interesting for the grown ups, like the grown-up kids (Ken, me, and his brother and sister-in-law) got to go on a float plane ride, which was awesome! I thought I'd be scared, but it was really neat. We also played about 7 games of Catan and I *almost* won once. Then there were the not-so-good parts, like losing power (and therefore water) for all of Thursday evening, and then again on Friday at 1pm for nearly 24 hours! On Friday the winds were so strong that the lake looked more like an ocean. At one point the boat broke loose from the dock. It was retied, but we then had to tie three lines to the back of the boat, and stand on the dock holding tight to them so the boat didn't smash itself and the dock to pieces! Five of us took turns over the next four hours. It was an interesting way to spend the last full day of vacation!

And now for something different - I started pumping this week! So far I love, love, love it. On Monday night I did a "I don't have to do a shot!" dance. My highest BG so far has been 192 (over-corrected a low) and the lowest 55. I've been low a lot in the afternoons, but I've mostly been in the 90's up to the 120's. Perfect! Tomorrow I do my first site change on my own, and my basal rates will need to be adjusted to help with the lows. But this is going to make life waaay easier!

Signing off,
Rachel
a popsicle addict
who has been popsicle-free
for three weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment