Charlie has been home for 6.5 weeks! In that time he's gained almost SIX pounds. He's getting fat! His thighs are starting to jiggle! He looks much different than the 16 lb sickly child we brought home. He's so full of life! And so darn cute.
Charlie has Borderline Syndrome*. This occurs when a person has several issues that can be described as borderline - symptoms that don't offer a certain diagnosis, but need further testing to "rule out" an issue or "just to make sure". You also may often hear "wait and see". Charlie has already had several f these issues, and luckily so far all further testing has ruled out problems! We've got two rule-outs left: a sleep study and a sedated ABR (hearing test). Charlie failed one of his hearing screens today, which *may* indicate a mild hearing loss. Really, it's not a big issue because he can hear quite well. He can hear his dad whisper his name from a few feet behind him. So even if Charlie does have a mild hearing loss, so although it's a possibility he'd need hearing aids, it's not likely. But he'd sure be cute if he did need them. :) We won't do the hearing test until after his heart cath and sleep study. The ENT wants the cardiologist to clear him for anesthesia first, and if Charlie does have obstructive sleep apnea, then his tonsils would have to come out too. BUT, I think Charlie will just be adding all of this to his "ruled-out" list! He's so much stronger than he was 6 weeks ago, and I'm really not seeing the same sleep apnea symptoms that I did when we first got him. Of course, when I checked on him last night, he wasn't breathing. Yeah...there is that. Charlie is just a man of IFs.
June is looking much more relaxed than May. We only have a pre-op appointment and his heart cath scheduled. I also have to find a dentist for him, and get him started in therapy! I've been so wishy-washy on picking a private therapist. I don't know which one is the BEST. He'll be getting therapy through the school district, but that won't start til fall. And I am not looking forward to sending Charlie to preschool in his current state! He's Tuff, but oh so fragile and tiny. Ack. I'm going to have a preschooler! That's too much for my little brain. I'd better just go to bed now.
*Borderline Syndrome is made up.
Because I know there's 1 or 2 of you that wouldn't catch that. :)
LOL! I think one of my kids has Borderline Syndrome too! :)
ReplyDeleteHave you joined us on the After the Rainbow group yet? There is a page on Yuku that we're all moving to. Please come say hi! If you need help finding it or would just like to talk one-on-one with someone who has "been there" please feel free to email me at rachel@reecesrainbow.org
Blessings,
Rachel Whitmire
Post-Adoption Care Coordinator
Reeces Rainbow Down Syndrome Adoption Ministry
www.reecesrainbow.org