Charlie's home.
We had a roller coaster of a stay. We were back and forth on surgery on Thursday, and each "yes", "no", and "maybe" brought a slew of emotions. On Wednesday, the surgeon came in and told us Charlie would be on the schedule Thursday. He walked out, and a minute later came back in and told us one of his cultures grew, so surgery was officially off. We were totally bummed. It turns out that Charlie has a UTI. They kept him in the hospital long enough to make sure that he was responding to the antibiotics, and we got home late this afternoon. We had been told that Charlie could have surgery next week, but we found out today that's no longer the case. Apparently, in their conference this AM, the infectious diseases doctors decided they wanted to prevent this from happening again. So the current plan is to keep Charlie on antibiotics until the 8th, and then switch him over to a maintenance dose. And then he needs to be fever-free for a week before they'll let him have surgery. I'm angry and I disagree. If they want to prevent this from happening again ('this' being finding the infection in the OR), then they should do surgery soon! It's very unlikely that Charlie will remain fever-free for very long. If he does get a fever in the next 1.5 weeks, I'm supposed to bring him to the ER and have them page the peds ID on call. Areyoukiddingme. I should make them babysit Brennan while I make these ER trips. I'm going to try and call them and see if I can get a better plan, but they have such random clinic hours, I don't know how easy it will be. We have an appointment next Wednesday, so we might have to wait until then, but that definitely rules out surgery next week.
So, that's where we stand as of now. Charlie will probably not have surgery until late September. If that's the case, I'll have them push it out til October, because we have a lot going on at the end of September. Charlie won't be able to start school this semester, but I was on the fence about that anyway. And this does give us more time to pack some pounds on Charlie - in this hospitalization Charlie lost every ounce we'd worked so hard for these last few weeks. But knowing that makes me more eager to put weight on Charlie - he loses it so fast! He needs every ounce he can get!
We learned a few more things that will help us for the actual surgery. We learned Charlie's chest will likely be left open for a few days after surgery. He'll be in the hospital for longer than we thought. I am going to pack differently next time - instead of a backpack with a change of clothes, I'm going to pack a suitcase with a week's worth of stuff. That way, even when I do get to come home, I don't have to spend time running around and repacking things. So all is not lost. Also, Brennan learned how to say "Mommy is awesome". So, that's awesome.
No comments:
Post a Comment